The Perfect Vegan Nanaimo Bar
Growing up in Canada Nanaimo bars were a holiday staple (along with the ubiquitous Canadian Butter Tart). Finding a vegan version in stores is almost impossible. Here is a veganized version to share with your loved one.
A quick note, it can be difficult finding vegan graham crackers, most have honey in them. You can find vegan ones if you look.
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (I use Earth Balance) or margarine
- 2 cups vegan graham cracker crumbs
- 5 tbsp cocoa
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, walnuts, or pecans (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp warm water, mixed
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (again, I use Earth Balance)
- 1 - 3 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp vegan custard powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 squares vegan semi-sweet chocolate (1 oz. each) or 2/3 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- Melt first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in crumbs, coconut, and nuts.
- Press firmly into an ungreased 8" x 8" pan.
- Combine butter, non-dairy milk, custard powder, and icing sugar.
- Beat until light.
- Spread over bottom layer.
- Set in fridge to firm, about an hour, or in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Melt chocolate and butter over low heat.
- Once cool, but still liquid, pour over second layer
- Chill in refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Slice into desired squares. Use a heated knife to help ease the cutting. Simply run the knife under hot water, dry the knife, and cut.
For some variations you can substitute the non-dairy milk for the middle layer with juice (cherry,pomegranate, or blueberry), add chopped cherries, or strawberries, etc. Have fun with it!