A Supplemental Guide to Toro - A Calf's Tale
Below is a fact sheet for parents to help with discussions about the dairy industry with their children after reading Toro - A Calf's Tale.
Who Doesn't Love Ice Cream?
Milk and dairy products have been a part a "wholesome" lifestyle for what seems like forever. Advertisers and marketers have equated dairy with health, simpler times, Americana, etc. Here are some real facts.
- Cow milk evolved to be the perfect food for a growing calf, just like human milk is perfect for human children. Cows milk is very different from human milk and that is why most people in the world have some level of lactose intolerance.
- To keep cows lactating at maximum yields, cows are artificially and repeatedly and forcibly impregnated year after year. The constant cycle of forced pregnancy and birth creates a huge surplus of calves.
- 21,000,000 male dairy calves are slaughtered for veal or cheap beef every year globally.
- Due to repeated forced impregnation, constant lactation, and confinement, dairy cows’ tend to produce less milk at around 4 to 5 years of age. They are then slaughtered. The dairy industry is the meat industry. Most cheap meat found in grocery stores are from milked-dry Holstein cows.
- Like human mothers, cows carry their babies for nine months. They lactate to nourish their young. Cows do not "need" to be milked which is a common myth.
- When cows give birth, the calf is usually removed from her within 36 hours by the workers. The mother cows will bellow and scream for days for her calf, and the calves cry back.
- Left by themselves cows can live up to 25 years.
- Cows form close bonds, friendships, with other cows.
- A mother cow only produces milk when she is pregnant. From the age of fifteen months a cow is artificially inseminated against her will.
What's in Ice Cream and Other Dairy Products?
- Millions of pus cells
- Up to 20 painkillers, antibiotics & growth hormones.
- Bacteria and pathogens
- IGF-1 bovine growth hormone, which is linked to increased diabetes risk, hormonal imbalance, immune system damage, early puberty, and cancer
- Acidic protein which leeches minerals and calcium from the bones. (Dairy aggravates and/or to osteoporosis rather than the opposite which most people believe.)
- Milk protein 'casein' is linked to breast cancer, prostate cancer, kidney disease, arthritis, multiple sclerosis, Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and asthma, as well as many more.
- Milk DOES NOT make a body good.
Milk and Dairy Alternatives
There are many, many dairy alternatives all over the world. Nut milks (both commercial and home made), vegan cheeses, vegan ice cream made from soy, nuts or coconut. Frozen bananas make delicious "milk" shakes or nice cream. Home models of an ice cream churn are inexpensive and using nut milks you can make your own ice cream, if commercial vegan ice creams are not available in your area.